Spring is the time when managers prepare their teams ahead of Opening Day. Similar to the Grapefruit and Cactus Leagues in MLB, the Herts Spring League (HSL) provides a competitive edge to Spring Training.
Teams will be placed in several divisions (e.g. NBL, Triple-A, Double-A, Single-A) based on their ranking going into the new season. The exact format will depend on the number of teams entering the HSL. Full details will be published when the league line-up is confirmed.
Games will be played at Grovehill Ballpark in Hemel Hempstead. If the two diamonds in Hemel Hempstead are filled to capacity with HSL games, we will try to schedule a few games at Basing Hill Ballpark in NW London for teams which find that venue more convenient.
Over the years the HSL has featured teams from:
- National Baseball League (NBL),
- Triple-A League,
- Double-A League
- Single-A League
- U19 and U17 leagues
- international teams such as the GB Under-19, Under-16 National Teams and the ASL Eagles.
To fit all of the teams, we expect to be scheduling games on both Saturdays and Sundays. If there are HSL weekends when you would like to rest your team, you can indicate your scheduling preferences when you submit your entry.
The HSL dates are based on the indication from the BBF that the Opening Weekend of the NBL season is expected to be 15-16 April 2023. For the other leagues the Opening Weekend is expected to be 22-23 April 2023, although some lower league teams may play their opening games on 15-16 April 2023. More will be known when the BBF league schedules are published.
HSL (Week 1 of 3)
- Sat, 1-Apr-23
- Sun, 2-Apr-23
HSL (Week 2 of 3)
- Sat, 8-Apr-23
- Sun, 9-Apr-23
HSL (Week 3 of 3)
- Sat, 15-Apr-23
- Sun, 16-Apr-23
The HSL entry fee is £69 per team per game day.
HSL teams can expect the following benefits:
- Competitive games against opponents of similar level
- Opportunity to prepare for the new season on good quality diamonds at a time when many British baseball fields are unavailable
- On any HSL weekend each team will play one or more games which would give them around 3 hours or more of game time
- The Organisers will provide plate umpires for every HSL game
- The Organisers will provide game balls for every HSL game
IMPORTANT: If a game is postponed due to rain or for any other reason beyond the Organisers’ control, the entry fee is not refundable. The only exception is if the game cannot be played because of Covid restrictions in which case that part of the fee will be refunded.
Team entry form
To enter your team please complete the entry form below by 28 February 2023. If you are entering more than one team, please complete a separate form for each team.