Play Baseball – Join us
Baseball is one of the fastest growing sports in the UK and, with the increasing coverage of Major League Baseball on British television, Herts Baseball Club is seeing a huge growth in the number of youth and adult members.
We are one of the largest baseball clubs in the country and are affiliated with the adult and youth leagues of the British Baseball Federation and Little League Inc.
WE WELCOME EVERYONE
We are running a campaign to promote the game and give everyone the opportunity to play baseball.
With teams in every league of the British Baseball Federation, our club welcomes new adult and youth players regardless of previous experience – from complete beginners to elite players.
Boys and girls aged between 4 and 18 play in the British youth baseball leagues. Men and women between 14 and 50+ years of age play in the British adult baseball leagues.
HEALTH AND FITNESS BENEFITS
Batting and throwing will build upper-body strength and a sprint around the bases, coupled with fielding, strengthens legs and core muscle groups. Playing baseball will burn an average of 272 extra calories per hour without the pain associated with long-distance exertion involved in sports such as football (soccer), cycling etc.
We are located conveniently for anyone living in Hertfordshire, North West London and the surrounding regions.
We have one of the best baseball ballparks in the country with two purpose-built diamonds which has previously hosted the National Baseball Championships.
BASEBALL FOR ADULTS (14 to 50+)
· The Herts teams start pre-season training in January with sessions mostly on Sundays.
· In March and April the Herts teams play in the Herts Spring League involving British teams from around the country. This is the British equivalent of MLB’s Grapefruit and Cactus Leagues.
· The British league season opens in April and league games are played home and away mostly on Sundays until September.
· Between April and August the club runs midweek evening training sessions for all its members.
· In July Herts teams enter the International London Tournament for a weekend of baseball involving teams from around the UK, Ireland, France, Holland, Portugal, USA and other parts of the world.
· After the end of the regular season the top teams qualify and play in the postseason playoffs and National Baseball Championships. This usually takes place in September.
· Throughout the year there are various social and other events such as Herts Baseball’s International Beer and Food Festival, Awards Night, Bowling Tournament, Annual General Meeting and others.
BASEBALL FOR BOYS AND GIRLS (4 to 18)
· The Herts youth teams have pre-season training between February and March with sessions mostly on Saturdays.
· League games commence in April and May and end in July. Games are played mostly on Saturdays. Usual start time is 10am.
· In June and July our teams compete in the Little League qualification games to determine which British teams will progress through to the European qualifiers and from there onto the Little League World Series in Pennsylvania, USA, which is shown live on ESPN around the world.
· In August and September there are various other events such as the National Baseball Championships where we send our best teams to represent Herts, as well as the Herts Futures Tournament held at our home ballpark in Hemel Hempstead where our Herts players compete against teams from around the country.
· There are midweek training sessions during the year.
· Our members also take part in various MLB road shows such as the European Big league Tour.
· Herts youth players benefit from the MLB Envoy programme and over the last few seasons have had the privilege of being coached by Great Britain National Team Manager, Sam Dempster, who is also a member of the Milwaukee Brewers coaching staff and is the Brewers’ scout for Europe.
· Many of our youth team players are regularly selected by the Great Britain National Teams (various age groups) so Herts players who want to progress and compete at the highest level and represent their country internationally have a pathway to achieve this.
MEMBERSHIP FEES AND UNIFORM
· The annual membership fee is between £55 and £180 for members of the adult league teams and between £20 and £69 for members of the youth league teams, depending on age group and league.
· Members which join the club partway through the season pay a membership fee reduced on a pro-rata basis. For example, if you join with 25% of the season remaining, your membership fee would be reduced to 25% of the annual membership fee.
· Team equipment such as bats, batting helmets, catchers’ gear, balls is provided free as part of your membership. For youth team members we also provide fielding gloves.
· Uniform is not included in the membership fees. The different Herts jerseys range from £11 to £45, pants are around £25, cap between £10 and £18.
· Many players like to buy their own fielding glove in order to practice throughout the week. Fielding gloves, uniforms and other products are available to buy at attractive prices from the Herts club shop.
HOW TO JOIN
You can join the club at any time of the year. Our club welcomes new players of any age, gender and ability.
If you decide to join Herts Baseball Club please complete the online registration form.
TRY BASEBALL BEFORE YOU JOIN
To give those who are new to the game and new to our club a chance to try baseball, the first training session is FREE to attend – no costs and without the need to commit for the season. We also have open days throughout the season, which are also free.
HOW TO CONTACT US
If you require more details or to find out when you can come for a training session to give baseball a try, please contact us.