U17 Baseball League
ABOUT THE LEAGUE
The U17 Baseball League (South) is a competition which runs during the regular season. It comprises teams from the South of England. The teams are divided into two divisions, Division 1 and Division 2, based on their ranking.
A team representing the U17 Baseball League (South) is scheduled to enter the Little League qualification competition. That team will meet the team representing the North/Midlands U17 League to determine which team will represent the United Kingdom in the next round. The winner of that encounter will progress through to the Little League European Qualifier which will be held in Novara, Italy. The winner of the Little League European qualifier will fly to the USA for the Little League World Series, which is broadcast live on ESPN around the world.
U17 Little League UK Qualifier dates and venue
14 and 15 June 2014, Farnham Park, UK
U17 Little League European Qualifier dates and venue
6 to 12 July 2014, Novara, Italy
U17 Little League World Series dates and venue
10 to 16 August 2014, Bangor, Maine USA
LITTLE LEAGUE FACTS
• Founded in 1939 by Carl Stotz
• First organized league had 3 teams all sponsored by local businesses
• First game was played on June 6, 1939
• First World Series was played in 1947
• The concept of Little League spread rapidly and by the start of the 1950s there were more
• than 150,000 Little League players nation wide
• Expanded internationally in 1951 to include programs in Canada and Panama
• In 1957, Monterrey, Mexico became the first country outside of the United
• States to win a Little League World Series
• In 1974, Little League expanded to include softball
• Today Little League is the world’s largest and most respected youth sports organization with more than 2.6 million participants play Little League in all 50 states and in more than 75 countries across the world.