The Herts Falcons 1st team managed to halt their losing streak at 5 games, temporarily, as they took the first game of a doubleheader against the Oxford Kings 11 – 8.

It was a battling performance, as the Falcons were down 7 – 3 early in the game, but starting pitcher Takashi Hirai settled down and held the Kings scoreless through the remainder of his time on the mound at the end of the 5th inning. Some timely hitting throughout the order, and good baserunning helped the Falcons to chip away at the deficit, as for once they weren’t relying on the long ball power hitting of Denison. Solid defensive play also helped, after a couple of mistakes in the early innings had allowed Oxford to score their runs.

Liam Bath came in to pitch the 6th and 7th innings and, after a slow start walking the first batter and hitting the second one he faced, he started throwing strikes. Some continued good fielding allowed him to close out the game, with Oxford scoring once more in the 7th inning.

So the Falcons gained another win, and aimed to continue into the 2nd game.


The 2nd game was a classic, in baseball terms. Two ace pitchers, mostly dominating the opposing hitters, a solo home run from the Falcons Denison, and a game decided by just 1 run.

Denison started on the mound for the Falcons and the Kings started with Kelly, who was throwing hard and keeping the Falcons hitters off balance.

In the first inning, a bloop hit into shallow outfield by Kim Saionji followed by a stolen base, put him into scoring position. Denison put the ball into play and Saionji rounded the bases, sliding in head first at the plate to beat the tag and put the Falcons 1 up.

This was looking to be enough, as Denison was keeping the Kings off the scoreboard through 4 innings, and the Falcons tagged on another couple of runs for insurance.

Then in the 5th inning it all went south for the Falcons again, as the Kings scored 5 runs to take the lead, starting with a bases clearing 3 RBI double by the 1st baseman that sailed over the left fielders head. Denison tried to help himself in the 6th as he went deep over the left field fence for a solo homer that put the Falcons within 1. Top of the 7th inning and with 2 outs the Falcons came just short in an attempted rally. Manning reached base and then stole second. A wild pitch allowed him to reach third base, so the tying run just 90 feet away, all Bath had to do was put the ball through the infield, and at least the Falcons would make the Kings bat again. However, it wasn’t to be as Bath struck out swinging, and the Falcons winning streak was stopped at 1.


Next week the Falcons are back at home, with a double header against Croydon Pirates 2, who were promoted with them from division 1.

Start a Conversation