Baseball and Softball are two of the fastest growing sports in the UK and, with the increasing coverage of Major League Baseball on British television, Herts Baseball Club is seeing a huge growth in the number of youth and adult members.
We are one of the largest baseball clubs in the country and we have now added a softball programme affiliated with the British Softball Federation.
WE WELCOME EVERYONE
We are running a campaign to promote the game and give men and women, boys and girls the opportunity to play softball.
Our club welcomes new softball players regardless of previous experience – from complete beginners to elite players. Male and female players over the age of 14 are all welcome to come and try softball.
Co-ed slowpitch softball is a recreational, social and enjoyable game that’s easy to learn and play, even for people who are not “athletes” or don’t have much experience of team sports – and the game offers particular opportunities for women.
It’s a lot like baseball in terms of the rules, but because the ball is pitched slowly to each batter (as the name implies!), it’s easy to hit the ball and succeed at the sport’s central skill. The fact that men and women play together in the same team and on an equal level gives the sport a social buzz, and most softball games are followed by sessions at the local pub!
But there is also a competitive side to the sport, with serious tournaments and national championships, and there is a Great Britain Co-ed Slowpitch National Team that has won ten straight European Championships.
HEALTH AND FITNESS BENEFITS
Batting and throwing will build upper-body strength and a sprint around the bases, coupled with fielding, strengthens legs and core muscle groups. Playing softball will burn an average of 272 extra calories per hour without the pain associated with long-distance exertion involved in sports such as football (soccer), running etc.
We are located conveniently for anyone living in Hertfordshire, North West London and the surrounding regions.
We have one of the best baseball ballparks in the country with two purpose-built diamonds which has previously hosted the National Championships.
BECOMING A SOFTBALL CLUB MEMBER
· The Herts teams start pre-season training in February with sessions mostly on Sundays.
· The British league season opens in April/ May.
· Apart from the league, throughout the summer teams enter a number of large softball tournaments such as the Disco Ball and Windsor First Ball tournaments. These are usually played on weekends.
· Between April and August the club runs midweek evening training sessions for all its members.
· During the winter softball teams are even able to play in indoor tournaments.
· Throughout the year there are various social and other events such as Herts Baseball’s International Beer and Food Festival, Awards Night, Bowling Tournament, Annual General Meeting and others.
MEMBERSHIP FEES AND UNIFORM
· The annual membership fee is around £50 with discount for full-time students.
· Members which join the club partway through the season pay a membership fee reduced on a pro-rata basis. For example, if you join with 25% of the season remaining, your membership fee would be reduced to 25% of the annual membership fee.
· Team equipment such as bats, fielding gloves, batting helmets, catchers’ gear, balls is provided free as part of your membership.
· Uniform is not included in the membership fees. The Herts jersey costs around £35, caps are between £10 and £18.
· Many players like to buy their own fielding glove in order to practice throughout the week. Fielding gloves, uniforms and other products are available to buy at attractive prices from the Herts club shop.
HOW TO JOIN
You can join the club at any time of the year. Our club welcomes new players of any age, gender and ability.
If you decide to join Herts Baseball Club please complete the online registration form.
Once you become a member you will be added to our mailing list and will be kept informed about upcoming games, training sessions, and other events.
TRY SOFTBALL BEFORE YOU JOIN
To give those who are new to the game and new to our club a chance to try softball, the first training session is FREE to attend – no costs and without the need to commit for the season. We also have open days throughout the season, which are also free.
HOW TO CONTACT US
If you require more details or to find out when you can come for a training session to give baseball a try, please contact us.