As we count down to the 2012 National Baseball Championships we are running a series of question and answer sessions with members of the Herts Falcons and Herts Hawks teams who will be going for silverware this Bank Holiday weekend.
1. Name: Robbie Unsell
2. Nationality (if dual nationality enter both): American
3. Age: 26
4. Position(s): SS, 2B, P, C, CF
5. Height: 5’8″
6. Weight: 160
7. Bats (right/left/switch): right
8. Throws (right/left): right
9. Previous appearances in the NBCs (year and which team and league i.e. NBL, AAA, AA etc.): NBL ’10 and ’11 with Richmond Flames
10. What is your preferred song to go up to bat with: Till I Collapse – Eminem
11. Favourite baseball movie: The Sandlot or The Natural
12. Favourite MLB team: World Series Champs St. Louis Cardinals
13. Favourite MLB player: Yadier Molina
14. For or against the Designated Hitter rule: Against, let the pitchers hit!
15. Should Barry Bonds’ home run record have an asterisk next to it: No, unfortunately steroids are a part of baseball history. MLB didn’t implement a penalised-based policy against performance-enhancing drugs (PEDs) until 2005, and as a result less blame should reside on the players. Bonds wasn’t the only player using PEDs, he was just the best. He was a participant in a broken system and an asterisk does nothing to fix that. Most baseball fans understand the context of the ‘steroid’ era and already view Bonds’ home run record, and other records broken during that time, in light of that context as evidenced by recent Hall of Fame voting for Mark McGwire. An asterisk doesn’t solve the problem of a failed PED policy, or lack thereof. It’s only an attempt to rewrite history based on past mistakes.
16. What was the largest audience you have performed to (sports or other), when and what event: ’08 National Amateur Baseball Federation College Division World Series Semifinal
17. Who is the most undervalued player in the team: Kimi Saionji
18. Who is the prankster in the team: Jordan Farkas
19. What is your pre-game routine during the 24 hours before first pitch, any superstitions, etc.: Relax and not think about the game
20. Your favourite pre-game meal: Cheerios
21. Predictions for this weekend’s Championship: Hert’s Falcons in 3 games!
22. Key to our success this weekend in 3 words: Pitching and defense