As we count down to the 2012 National Baseball Championships we are running a series of question and answer sessions with members of the Herts Falcons and Herts Hawks teams who will be going for silverware this Bank Holiday weekend.
1. Name: Cristobal Hiche Schwarzhaupt
2. Nationality (if dual nationality enter both): Chile and Germany
4. Position(s): CF, 1B
5. Height: 1.80m
6. Weight: 82kg
7. Bats (right/left/switch): Right
8. Throws (right/left): Left
9. Previous appearances in the NBCs (year and which team and league i.e. NBL, AAA, AA etc.): None (first year in the league)
10. What is your preferred song to go up to bat with: Sad But True (Metallica)
11. Favourite baseball movie: Major League
12. Favourite MLB team: Toronto Blue Jays
13. Favourite MLB player: Roberto Alomar
14. For or against the Designated Hitter rule: For the DH rule. I want to see a player that can actually hit rather than one that looks like a fool.
15. Should Barry Bonds’ home run record have an asterisk next to it: Yes, of course. He’s a cheater.
16. What was the largest audience you have performed to (sports or other), when and what event: Interestingly enough was in Athletics in high school in Chile for the national tournaments. A thousand or so would come watch the events.
17. Who is the most undervalued player in the team: This is a tough one because nobody is undervalued in our team. I would say that Michael Osborn and Jeff House are a bit undervalued. When they’re in their zone, their stuff is nasty and unstoppable.
18. Who is the prankster in the team: We don’t seem to have a stand-out prankster. We’re a very mature team who knows when to get down to business and when we can joke and when we do is the entire team. But again I would say Mike Osborn who has come up with the Falcons ‘battle cry’ which includes a ‘fly-in’ of the OFs to the field in most game.
19. What is your pre-game routine during the 24 hours before first pitch, any superstitions, etc.: Not very superstitious and nothing particular the day before. However, well known by Lee and the rest, is that I don’t put my jersey and cleats on until the very last minute before game time.
20. Your favourite pre-game meal: No meals (or just a fruit) before games. I don’t even eat in between games. So I end up VERY hungry after a double header but that’s my routine.
21. Predictions for this weekend’s Championship: We should win it. I can sense it. I said this before the season started and my prediction so far has been right. We’ll definitely be in the final game!
22. Key to our success this weekend in 3 words: a) We need to win the first game, b) Excellent pitching performances, c) bring the runners home. Lately we have left too many runners on base.